Saturday, March 30, 2013

Home Is Where the Heart Is.



I want to go home…to the sun, the sea, the souvla.  Pittsburgh, here I come!  Whoops, I mean Mykonos. Of course, the mistake is understandable what with both places once renown for feared Pirates who’d roamed about them so very long ago. 


Mykonos is known for a lot of things…and fantasized over for many more, but this is about what is special to me, what first comes to mind when I think of Mykonos.

The Island’s many whites…




The Windmills symbolic of its nickname, “the Island of the Winds”...



The differences of place so closely tied to the same Aegean Sea…

Little Venice…


The Lighthouse…

Armenistis lighthouse with Tinos island in background

And, in thanks to you, Maestro Dimitris Koutsoukas, for the photographs I pilfered from your collection for this post, this one’s for you...


Jeff—Saturday

14 comments:

  1. I want to see your 'home". It looks beautiful and through your eyes I feel like I've been there! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs are simply breathtakingly gorgeous!!! Thelma Straw in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thelma, but the appreciation goes to my friend, Dimitris, for spending what seems his every waking hour gathering more photos of his island. That is when he's not making the world's best sausages in San Francisco.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark, I appreciate that. As hard as it may seem to believe, going though hundreds of photographs to find the few that tell the story I want to tell takes just about the same amount of time as if I were writing a non-pictorial blog post.

      Delete
  4. Your post made me homesick for a place I've never been. Beautiful. Are the little ones in the first picture any relation to you? In Pittsburgh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, Lil, those are 100% Mykonian children and a purebred Mykonian street cat!

      Delete
  5. Those are absolutely breathtaking photos. Surely Mykonos is one the eighth wonder of the world.

    Makes me want to pack up and get a one-way plane ticket to that island.

    So, why the heck aren't you there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Kathy, it is. I'm not because my daughter is having a baby. It was a tough choice but she knows where the bodies are buried :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that blog took you a long time did it Jeff? Just how long did you take selecting that very last photo.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Caro, you have no idea how difficult my struggles to come up with that final photo. I searched through so many candidates looking for the perfect expression to make my point. But, alas, I know I shouldn't complain, for we all suffer in our own special ways for our art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that amazing combination of white and blue -- it's how I've always pictured Greece, and it is about my favorite color palate in the world...one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And it has more than enough bars to satisfied the whole MIE crew and more! Just let me know when.

    ReplyDelete