Sunday, March 31, 2013

A bunch of crime fiction writers walk into a bar...

Writers spend a lot of time alone. Most of us are introverts to some degree — you almost have to be, to deal with the solitary nature of the gig, to spend that much time in your head. But many of us also need our social outlets —and there's nothing like the chance to spend a few days with other members of your tribe.

The crime fiction community is fortunate to have a number of annual conventions, gatherings of writers and readers. What these events seem to have in common is that they all center around the hotel bar. I'm not suggesting that all writers drink a lot, but I think it's safe to say that most writers drink some. And drinking or not, the hotel bar is where you go to socialize.

(bar food at Left Coast Crime Colorado)

I just got back from Left Coast Crime, one of the two annual events I attend. The other is Bouchercon, the Big Kahuna of crime fiction conferences. Bouchercons typically bring in 1500+ attendees: authors, readers, publishers, agents, editors, reviewers, librarians and sales reps. Left Coast Crime is a more intimate affair, but equally professional in its organization and execution.

This year, Left Coast was in Colorado Springs, at the lovely Cheyenne Mountain Resort. This was the view from my window the first day of the conference:


This is a little misleading, because if you turn to your left, you'd see a really huge golf course (winter brown at least) and a bunch of "ranchettes." But still a beautiful setting.

So, a crime fiction conference -- what do you do?

There are panels to attend, on topics ranging from forensics to writing other cultures, to discussions on genre, on using social media, on cold cases, panels on craft, panels on marketing. 


(Panel:"The Character, The 'Why' in Mystery," featuring Jeanne Matthews, Terry Shames, David...crap, I'm really sorry I'm spacing on his name, cause he was an interesting guy, Shannon Baker, hello, I can't remember her name either, and she's also not in my conference program, and likewise had a lot of interesting things to say, plus moderator Robert Kresge, not pictured)

I was on two panels, "International Intrigue" and "What You Don't Know About Thriller Writers." Both were a blast. But as one of my fellow panelists said to me on the last night of the conference, "It's not about the panels. It's about...this!" An expansive wave around the bar. 

Even at this late hour, on the last night of the conference, there were groups of attendees moving chairs to make larger circles around tables, clustered in twos and threes around the bar, some going from group to group to chat with old friends and to make new ones. 

Yeah, I realize this all sounds pretty corny. But it's true. 

The first day of the conference, some of my fellow Los Angeles Sisters and Misters in Crime took an excursion to the Garden of the Gods. Beautiful...


But of course, what made it especially fun was the company...


(We Might Be Rock Stars)

The conference ran from Thursday through Sunday. On Saturday, a good-sized storm came through Colorado. Again, the view from my window:


(cold, white stuff falling from the sky)

By Sunday, the view looked like this:


(cold, white stuff no longer falling from the sky, but sticking to the ground)

Going to wonderful events like this and getting to hang out with people with whom I have so much in common, as a writer and as a reader, is really one of the best perks of this author gig. I'm very psyched that I still have Bouchercon to look forward to this year. And next year's Left Coast Crime is in gorgeous Monterey, CA! And the US Guest of Honor is none other than....(drumroll)...our own Cara Black! 



The rest of the line-up is equally epic.

Yes, I've already registered.

Lisa -- Sunday....






16 comments:

  1. I'm so disappointed I couldn't make the bar scene...I mean LCC...this year. But I, too, booked for Monterey next year, even before learning of Cara's much deserved honor! But I'll at least get to see you and many of our crew at Bouchercon in Albany in September, and I've already signed up for B-con in Long Beach 2014. Happy Easter, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter, Jeff -- and yes, see you in Albany! And Monterey! And Long Beach!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the great commaraderie!

    I wish I knew the name of the woman in the picture next to me on the panel (the one one the far left. She was a mystery woman who came in at the last minute. And by the way, you reversed the names. Shannon Baker is the real blond--the young one, next to Jeanne Matthews on the far right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's right. I actually knew who Shannon Baker was, but had Jeanne confused. Sorry, panel! You were all great!

      Delete
  3. Hope you saw some of my pals- scouting for Bloody Scotland next year. You couldn't have missed Gordon Brown, red haired, six feet five inches tall - either propping up the bar or collapsed behind it. His jokes are terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe I saw him! Didn't have a chance to talk though -- next time!

      Delete
    2. And speaking of Scots -- the fellow whose name I could not remember (and who wasn't in the program) is Craig Robertson. I thought someone posted that here earlier, but now it's gone. Did I accidentally delete you?

      Delete
  4. Our trip to Garden of Gods was my favorite part of the conference, I think. Loved that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That was so much fun! Apologies for not ID-ing everyone -- I'm never sure outside of FB who wants to be known and who doesn't. Readers, Holly West is one of our LA Sisters!

      Delete
  5. Why didn't I go? Why didn't you MAKE me go? Great reports like this one only twist the knife. But I'm g;ad SOME people had a great timd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Tim, next time I will MAKE YOU GO! Monterey! Be there! Register now!

      Delete
  6. Hey Lisa looks like a great time had by all. Ok, Tim I'll make you go to Monterey...forewarned

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lot of fun!! I'm so excited that LCC is in Monterey next year. I hope to attend since it's so close to me. And I look forward to seeing authors I've met before & meeting new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed it too. And the snow! Will definitely meet you at the bar next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yip, Craig is a good mate. He puts black pudding into every novel he writes. At Bloody Scotland he mistook the smell of Yrsa's shark meat for a blocked drain. The boy has no style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss mystery conventions now that I've switched to horror… I still love mystery writers the best!

    ReplyDelete